Look to the Past
Through the window of Ash House at Pinhey's Point historic site, one can look across the Ottawa River to the Gatineau Hills of Quebec. This particular structure was named Ash House because of the large quantities of ash that were discovered during archaeological excavations. At the time of this structure's beginnings, the early 1800's, ash was used to make fertilizer, glass and soap. The original owner, Hon. Hamnett Kirkes Pinhey, was a young London importer who emigrated to Canada in 1820 to set up his residential estate, operating grist + sawmills, and St. Mary's Church west of Bytown in the Canadian Wilderness: now called Dunrobin.